What is a Zipper Head???

Zipper Head is a nickname that Chiari patients who have had the decompression surgery call themselves. The nickname refers to the scar left by the decompression surgery. It literally looks like a zipper, as if you could unzip the back of the head. I am a Zipper Head and proud of it :)


This is an actual picture of my "zipper". My scar goes from the bottom of my neck to my crown and is around 12 inches in length.
Taking this picture was the second time I had ever saw my scar. The first time was with two mirrors over a year post-op. I constantly run my fingers over it. I don't know why, but it has always been emotional to think about looking at it or actually looking at it.
It does look a little different compared to someone who has had only one surgery. My site was opened three times. Along with internal stitches, I recieved 28 staples from the first surgery, 26 staples  from the second surgery, and 34 staples from the third.


No comments:

Post a Comment