How is it diagnosed?

  • Diagnosis is made through a combination of patient history, neurological examination, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). The radiographic criteria for diagnosing a congenital Chiari I Malformation is a downward herniation of the cerebellar tonsils greater than 5 mm below the foramen magnum.


  • Other imaging techniques involve the use of 3-D CT imaging of the brain and cine imaging (a movie of the brain) can be used to determine if the brainstem is being compressed by the pulsating arteries that surround it.


  • In the Syndrome of Occipitoatlantoaxial Hypermobility, cerebellar tonsillar herniation is typically only evident on an up-right MRI, due to the fact that the Chiari Malformation is gravitationally acquired by means of connective tissue weakness.


  •  3-D CT imaging may aid in the diagnosis of related disorders such as retroflexed odontoid. Invasive cranial traction (lifting of the head off the spine) is often used as a confirmation of the diagnosis.


  • The diagnosis of a Chiari II Malformation can be made prenatally through Ultrasound.


CT scans have never shown my Chiari. All my diagnosis have been done via MRI. And here's a little fun fact, I have to have an MRI done every six months. Sometimes I think I'll be radio active by the time I'm 40 haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment